Displaying: 1 / 3         (or click on the left/right side of the image)       Scroll down for more             75%   100%   125% 
Return to Contents iconsNext pagePrevious pageNext page



Return to Contents iconsNext pagePrevious pageNext page



Return to Contents iconsNext pagePrevious pageNext page



Return to Contents iconsNext pagePrevious pageNext page



Return to Contents iconsNext pagePrevious pageNext page


Carterton Railway Station.
A small tape cutting ceremony on 12th May 2013 at the 130 year old Carterton Railway Station saw the completion of the recent restoration works.

Around mid 1980’s the station closed as an attended station.
In 1991 the Wairarapa Restoration Society leased the building under a grace & favor lease agreement with Carterton District Council and began the restoration process.
In 1995 a small museum was established and in 2007 the toilets were opened.

In 2011 the Greater Wellington Regional Council acquired all the railway stations in the region (which included the Carterton Station) and have funded the subsequent painting, repairs, re-piling, EQ strengthening and some signage and all the ongoing maintenance.
The Wairarapa Railway Restoration Society occupy and maintain the Museum within the building, the supply of electricity being their only cost. The Commuter Ticket selling concession with Kiwi Rail devolves part of their revenue to the Society as a form of rental of their office space.

The tape cutting celebration coincided with a Steam Incorporated Excursion train, hauled by their 1950’s DA1431 diesel locomotive and their fleet of classic red “steel” cars with 200 passengers which stopped for 20 minutes to join the celebrations. The excursion ran from Steam Incorporated’s home base in Paekakariki to Paekakariki via Wellington, Masterton, Woodville & Palmerston North - a grand circle route in a counter clock wise direction.